Shlwapi.dll – Missing DLL Download & Error Fix (7 Methods)
I had an error "error loading shlwapi.dll. DLL is missing"
recently when trying to star MS excel I received a PC fault saying "error loading shlwapi.dll. DLL is missing".
How can I fix this issue?
Shlwapi.dll is a DLL file or Dynamic Link Library file made and developed by the Microsoft Corporation. The file is part of Microsoft Visual C++ which is a compiler from Microsoft which is also used to develop Windows based applications.
A lot of applications rely on Microsoft Visual C++ to operate and run smoothly, that is why if one component of Visual C++ goes missing or corrupted, error messages may arise. Today, we will discuss about error messages that are related to Shlwapi.dll.
Error Messages Related to Shlwapi.dll
The error messages that comes up that are related to Shlwapi.dll are caused by several reasons. Error messages may appear due to incorrect registry entries, faulty applications, the machine may be infected with a virus or malware or the DLL file may simply be misplaced, incorrectly deleted or corrupted in which case can be easily fixed.
Here are the most common error messages that may appear that are related to Shlwapi.dll:
- “Cannot find shlwapi.dll”
- “Cannot register shlwapi.dll”
- “shlwapi.dll is missing”
- “shlwapi.dll error loading”
- “shlwapi.dll could not be located”
- “shlwapi.dll Access Violation”
- “The procedure entry point shlwapi.dll error”
- “shlwapi.dll was not found”
- “shlwapi.dll crash”
System Error: Shlwapi.dll is Missing Causes
As we have discussed, error messages that are related to Shlwapi.dll are caused by several reasons. Some may sound complicated but there are some that are very simple such as having it in the wrong folder. However, one should note that in most cases, these errors are caused by malicious applications that are installed in the machine.
These malicious applications may have injected a virus or malware on the computer which have made changes in the machine without the user’s knowledge and permission. In this case, even if you are able to fix the error, if the threat is still present in the machine, the error may still come up until the threat has been completely removed.
How to Fix System Error: “Shlwapi.dll is Missing from Your Computer“?
There are a lot of solutions available all over the internet, some of which are easy and some of them are for advanced users. To better help you, we have listed the most effective methods that can fix any error DLL errors.
1st SOLUTION: Use an Automatic System Error Repair Tool
Convenience is the main selling point of using an Automatic System Error Repair Tool as it speeds up the repair process and removes the hassle that comes with manually repairing system errors.
One of the many reliable tools that a lot of users turn to when it comes to Automatic System Error Repair is Restoro. With a holistic approach when it comes to making sure your computer is in top shape, Restoro will automatically repair system errors such as missing DLL errors.
- You can download Restoro here, once the download is complete install the program per usual
- Once Restoro has been installed in your computer, perform a full system scan and let it complete
- After the full system scan, the repair process will then commence. However, before it starts it will create a restore point so that it can revert back to its previous settings in case there is a need to do so.
- Once the restore process is complete, we suggest for you to restart your computer and check if the error has been fixed.
2nd SOLUTION: Download and Install Shlwapi.dll Manually
You may also manually download the Shlwapi.dll file by clicking here. After downloading the file, make sure to put it in the correct folder.
- For 64-bit OS, put the DLL file to “C:/Windows/System32”
- For 32-bit OS, put it in the “C:/Windows/SysWOW64”
3rd SOLUTION: Using the Windows SFC or System File Checker
The Windows System File Checker can be used to scan and repair faulty or missing system or DLL Files.
- Hold down the “Windows” key and press “R” and type in “cmd”. Hold down the “ctrl+shift” keys and then press “enter” and press “yes” in the User Account Control window
- Type in “sfc /scannow” in the Command Prompt and press “enter”. Let the tool complete the scan and follow the prompts to complete the repair process
- Make sure to restart your computer once the scan and repair has been completed and open the application that was having the problem to confirm if it has been fixed
4th SOLUTION: Updating Your System Drivers
If a DLL error pops-up whenever you try to open a newly installed/updated hardware or program, then it is best to update or reinstall its drivers. To manually update system drivers, follow the guide below:
- Hold down the “Windows” key and press “R” and type “devmgmt.msc” in the run line command
- Look for the driver that needs to be updated and click on the “Update Device Driver” button located on the upper part of the Window. In the next Window, it will ask you how you want to search for drivers, select “Search Automatically for Drivers” and let it complete. A restart on the machine may be necessary.
5th SOLUTION: Updating Your Operating System
Fresh update on an operating system will likely fix any DLL errors (including Shlwapi.dll) as Windows will automatically download and install required files that will optimize your computer. Aside from updated files, it will also fix bugs, optimize your computer’s performance and download security updates.
- Press down the “Windows” key and press the letter “I” to bring up the Windows Settings window and select on “Update & Security”
- Click on the “Check for Updates” and let the download complete and install the updates without any interruptions
6th SOLUTION: Reinstall a New Copy of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
Since Shlwapi.dll is part of Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 and errors occur pertaining to the file, then downloading and installing a new copy of Microsoft Visual C++ may fix the errors.
- Hold down the “Windows” key and press “R” and type “appwiz.cpl” in the run line command
- Look for “Microsoft Visual C ++” in the Uninstall or Change a Program Window and click on “Uninstall” to remove it from the computer
- Once the program has been uninstalled, restart the computer and download a fresh copy of Visual C++ from their official website at by clicking here and install as usual
7th SOLUTION: Reinstall a Fresh Copy of the Problematic Application
If the DLL error pertaining to Shlwapi.dll only shows up whenever you open up a specific application, then uninstalling and reinstalling a fresh copy of the program will most likely fix the issue.
- Hold down the “Windows” button on your keyboard and press the letter “R” and type in “appwiz.cpl” in the run command line
- Look for the application that is having the issue in the Uninstall or Change a Program Window and click on “Uninstall” to remove it from the computer
- Once the program has been removed, download the installer from its official website or a legitimate source and install it as usual
Our Final Tip
For some, manual repair of system errors such as Shlwapi.dll is missing error may be difficult especially for individuals who are not used to troubleshooting on their computers. That is why we strongly recommend using a reliable automatic system repair tool such as Restoro.
Restoro is one of the many recommended and reliable all-in-one tool that is used by experts to automatically repair system errors and protect their computer from online threats such as viruses and malware.
RESTORO — is a patented PC & MAC repair tool & the only program of its kind. Not only it’s a registry fix, PC optimizer, or an anti-virus/malware remover – The RESTORO technology reverses the damage done to Windows or Mac, eliminating the need for time-consuming reinstallations & costly technician bills.
It is available for FREE. Although, for some more advanced features & 100% effective fixes you may need to purchase a full license.
If your missing shlwapi.dll error is still not solved — don’t hesitate and contact us via email, or a Facebook messenger (the blue ‘bubble’ on the bottom-right of your screen).