How to Remove Startbrowser.co Search Hijacker Virus (Free Guide)
My chrome browser was hijacked by Startbrowser.co - how can I remove it?
recently my google chrome browser started behaving strange and some kind of Startbrowser ads starting to appear.
Can you tell me how can I remove it from my PC?
Because the software tries to change settings on the surfing application, the Startbrowser.co search hijacker can substantially reduce your online time. Although the hijacker is neither malicious or harmful, some of the settings it changes might cause problems with other processes, such as when search engine results become cluttered with links and advertisements to irrelevant or hazardous websites.
As soon as the browser begins to behave poorly, you must respond to the infection. It’s a sign of an already active intruder, thus the machine should be carefully cleaned. You can attain such goals by using anti-malware tools and security programs that are designed to discover malicious intruders and properly kill them.
An overview of the Startbrowser.co search hijacker
M.startbrowser.co is meant to redirect any search requests, exposing the user to potentially harmful content via ads, links, and banners placed into the list of results. Because the newly-added engine only offers sponsored content, integrated links with advertisements, and referrals to commercial platforms, these internet searches become worthless and inconvenient.
The most essential takeaway is that a search engine that pops out of nowhere on the browser cannot be trusted or authentic. When promotional advertising for the program, such as this search tool Startbrowser.co, emerges, you could assume there are different upgrades with the software. Installing anything from online advertisements or any business that focuses on promotional material, on the other hand, is a bad idea.
|TYPE||Browser hijacker, potentially unwanted program|
|SYMPTOMS||Web search results get filled with ads, redirected to m.startbrowser.co, other add-ons get installed, homepage, new tab preferences set to the same page|
|DISTRIBUTION||Other PUPs, freeware installation processes, deceptive sites, torrent pages|
|ISSUES||Constant ads expose the user to unwanted content, possibly malicious material that can result in malware infiltration, various ad providers and the PUP can record and track data related to browsing or even personally identifiable details|
|AFFECTS||Various browsers, including Internet Explorer, Safari, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge|
|ELIMINATION||You can get rid of the PUP with proper tools like anti-malware programs or security tools|
|REPAIR TIP||When PUPs manage to get on the system, they can affect various processes and system data, so run Restoro to find any corrupted files|
Browser hijacking is one of the most commonly discussed issues on computer assistance bulletin boards. Most computer users are interested in learning how to protect themselves from harmful invasions and outside influence.
Browser hijacking happens when unwanted software on a computer changes the browser’s behavior. People use internet browsers as a “window” to the internet, searching for information and seeing or interacting with it.
The Startbrowser.co search hijacker is a type of computer virus that infects your computer and then changes the search engine settings in your browser to one that it prefers. It also makes other unfavorable modifications that might result in personal data breaches.
How to Get Rid of Startbrowser.co Browser Hijacker
Some antivirus software warns users about the existence of adware and spyware, but fresh malware may slip through the cracks, or the security software may be unable to identify the invader. Users must reinstall their browsers in these instances to restore control of the interface. Find out how to remove Startbrowser.co search hijacker on different browsers.
Remove Startbrowser.co search hijacker from Mac OS
- Remove items from Applications folder:
- From the menu bar, select Go and then Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for all related entries.
- Click on the app and move it to Trash.
You must enter the Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete the following files to completely uninstall an undesirable app:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the related .plist files.
To Remove Startbrowser.co search hijacker From Microsoft Edge
- Go to the Menu or the three dots in the right corner of the browser
- Select Extensions
- Pick the entries of ads that are related to Startbrowser.co search hijacker
- Click on Uninstall
To Clear Browsing History and Data:
- Click the Menu
- Pick the Privacy and Security
- When you are in the clear browsing data section
- Select what entries to clear
- Click Clear
Now scroll down and locate every entry with Microsoft Edge name in it. Right-click on each of them and select End Task to stop MS Edge from running.
Reset Microsoft Edge
- Go to the Task Manager
- Select the More Details option
- Locate each entry for the Microsoft Edge
- Click End Task
- This will reset your Microsoft Edge
To Remove Startbrowser.co search hijacker From Chromium-based Edge
- Remove the extensions from MS Edge (Chromium)
- Open Edge and click select Settings > Extensions.
- Remove unwanted extensions by clicking Remove.
Clear cache and site data
- Click on Menu
- Go to Settings
- Select Privacy and services
- Under Clear browsing data, pick Choose what to clear
- Under Time range, pick All time
- Select Clear now
To Reset Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
- Go to Menu
- Then Select Settings
- On the left side, Go to Reset Settings
- Then Go to Restore settings to their default values
- Confirm by clicking again the Reset
Remove the Startbrowser.co search hijacker From Mozilla Firefox
- Go to the Firefox Menu
- Select Add-ons
- Find plugins related to the virus
- Click Remove
To bring back your homepage
- Click on the Menu placed at the top right corner
- Go to Options then select General
- Delete malicious URL and type in the preferred website or click Restore to Default
- Click OK to save the changes you have recently applied
Reset Mozilla Firefox
- Go to Firefox browser Menu
- Select Help
- Choose Troubleshooting Information
- Click Refresh Firefox
- Select the confirmation to Refresh the Firefox
Remove Startbrowser.co search hijacker From Google Chrome
Hijackers use this platform to find their prey. Now, remove them by following these steps:
- Go to the Menu on Google Chrome
- Click More Tools
- Select Extensions
- In a new window, pick malicious extensions on the list
- Move now to the uninstallation by clicking Remove
Set your Chrome to a Preferred Homepage
- Go to Settings
- Select Search Engines
- Go to open a new page
- Select add a new page
- Type the preferred URL
Reset Google Chrome
When the above steps did not work, opt for a Chrome reset
- Go to Chrome Settings
- Scroll down and choose Reset Browser settings
- Click Reset and confirm the action to complete removal of Startbrowser.co search hijacker
Remove Startbrowser.co search hijacker From Safari
- On the Safari Browser, go to Safari on the upper tab
- Select Preferences
- In a new Window, select Extensions
- Select unwanted extensions related to the virus
To set your homepage back to default or your preferred URL
- Open Safari then go to the Menu section
- Select Preferences
- Go to the General tab
- On the Homepage, change URL
To Reset Safari:
- Go to the Safari Browser then on the menu section, click Safari
- Choose Reset Safari
- Then a set of dialog window filled with options, you have to check all of them before clicking Reset again to confirm reset process
How to Prevent Startbrowser.co Search Hijacker
It’s difficult to keep your browser from being hijacked. Cleaning folders with browser cookies and histories on a regular basis is beneficial. To prevent malware from installing itself on browsers, it’s also vital to install and maintain good antivirus software. When users are alerted to unlawful installation attempts, the security software should inquire how they want to proceed. As a result, the risk of infection is reduced.
Conclusion & Why Backup Matters
Backing up your data entails creating a duplicate of your information that may be restored in the event of the main data loss. Hardware or software failures, data corruption, or a human-caused incident, such as a malicious attack, can all cause primary data failures. It’s crucial to keep regular data backups as the only safe way to restore important files in the event that you need them.
RESTORO — is a patented PC & MAC repair tool & the only program of its kind. Not only it’s a registry fix, PC optimizer, or an anti-virus/malware remover – The RESTORO technology reverses the damage done to Windows or Mac, eliminating the need for time-consuming reinstallations & costly technician bills.
It is available for FREE. Although, for some more advanced features & 100% effective fixes you may need to purchase a full license.
If your Startbrowser malware is still not removed— don’t hesitate and contact us via email, or a Facebook messenger (the blue ‘bubble’ on the bottom-right of your screen).