How to Uninstall Cortana From Windows OS? (Quick Guide)
How can I uninstall Cortana?..
Hello. Cortana is an app that resides in my Windows 10 system that I never use. I tried, but I couldn't get Cortana to remove via Programs and Features. Is there any way to get rid of it at all?
Cortana is a virtual assistant included with the Windows 10 operating system. It is cross-platform and offers a wide range of functions that are ideal for a virtual assistant — it can remind users about forthcoming activities, manage their calendars, send texts, track packages, and much more.
While many users found Cortana to be a useful addition to the Windows 10 operating system, it was not without criticism. Some users reported issues with it, such as Cortana popping up at random or not working at all, as well as the Start Menu. Many people have also expressed dissatisfaction with the recurring Cortana error message that says Cortana is not available in your region.
Why Would You Want to Remove Cortana?
Others were concerned about their privacy because the software requires users to provide access to specific (personal) information in order to work effectively. Finally, some people regard Cortana as bloatware that comes pre-installed with the Windows operating system and is of little value.
In other words, there are numerous reasons why many users would prefer to remove Cortana from Windows 10 permanently, despite the fact that the process is not as simple as it may appear at first. Because the software was originally incorporated into Windows, there was no way to remove it from the Programs and Features or Control Panel sections.
Microsoft has made various changes to the digital assistant since May 2020; it is now an independent program that can be downloaded from the Microsoft Store. Some of the app’s aspects that relied on consumer skills, such as connectivity to home gadgets or music service compatibility, were also removed. Regardless, consumers will find it difficult to delete Cortana on a frequent basis.
As a result, we’ll show you a couple of options for permanently removing the app. Although PowerShell commands appear to uninstall Cortana, they do not totally remove the main app files from your system. Nonetheless, all of the potential options are listed below.
Before you begin, we strongly advise you to download and install the iolo System Mechanic PC repair software. This tool will automatically solve the fundamental flaws of the operating system if you frequently suffer from Windows error such as BSODs, missing DLLs, or others.
Method #1: Prevent Cortana From Automatically Starting
To stop Cortana from starting up every time you start Windows, you don’t have to uninstall it. If you don’t care about it being installed but don’t want it to run, this option is ideal for you:
- To open the Task Manager, use Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard.
- Go to the Startup tab here.
- Disable Cortana by right-clicking on it.
- Terminate the Task Manager.
- Select Apps and Features from the Start menu by right-clicking the Start button.
- Cortana can be found by scrolling down.
- Select Advanced options after clicking on it once.
- Scroll down to the Log-in Runs section.
- To deactivate Cortana from running during log-in, click the switch once to shift it to the left.
Method #2: Uninstall Cortana via PowerShell
You can uninstall the software using PowerShell, but the essential files will remain on your machine, as previously stated. This is how you do it:
- Select PowerShell from the Start menu by right-clicking (Admin)
- If User Account Control (UAC) appears, select Yes.
- Copy (Ctrl + C) and paste (Ctrl + V) the following command once PowerShell appears:
- Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 | Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10
If you want, you can reinstall Cortana at any time from the Microsoft Store as any other app.
Method #3: Change Windows Registry
The Windows registry is a small database that stores information about your operating system’s settings, as well as those of third-party apps. As a result, every time you install an app, it creates a registry record in this database. It’s an important aspect of the Windows operating system, and if it’s not handled properly, it can create major system problems.
As a result, we strongly urge you to create a backup before making any changes to the registry. This feature is only available to Windows 10 Home users.
- In the Windows search box, type regedit and hit Enter.
- Select File > Export from the File menu.
- Select All from the Export range.
- Save your backup by giving it a name.
Return to the registry and look for the following entry:
- Select New > Key from the context menu of the Windows folder, and give it the name Windows Search.
- Mark the Windows Search folder by double-clicking it.
- Right-click a blank spot on the right side and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Name it AllowCortana
- Double-click it and set the value to 0
Method #4: Edit Group Policy to Remove Cortana
If you have Windows 10 Pro, you can disable Cortana using Group Policy.
- In Windows search, type gpedit and hit Enter.
- To get there, go to the following address:
- Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search > Computer Configuration.
- Double-click Allow Cortana on the right side.
- Choose Disabled, click Apply and OK.
- Then Restart your computer.
We have provided you with a step-by-step tutorial in order to uninstall Cortana, hopefully you succeeded to do so. In addition, we recommend running iolo System Mechanic (link below) in order to remove any malware from your Windows and optimize your whole system, as well as protect it from viruses.
iolo System Mechanic® — is a patented PC & MAC repair tool & the only program of its kind. Not only it’s a registry fix, PC optimizer, or an anti-virus/malware remover – The iolo System Mechanic® technology reverses the damage done to Windows or Mac, eliminating the need for time-consuming reinstallations & costly technician bills.
It is available for FREE. Although, for some more advanced features & 100% effective fixes you may need to purchase a full license