‘Snap.do’ Browser Virus Removal Guide (Free Instructions)
My firefox browser keeps redirecting to 'snap.do' homepage. Also there's an annoying toolbar. How can I get rid of it?
suddenly my firefox browser slowed down, started to redirect to some snap.do website. And I have a strange toolbar automatically installed as well.
I know for sure that I didn't install this on my own. Can it be a virus?
How can I remove it?
There are a lot of applications that promises to provide a better and safe browsing experience to internet users. However, not all of them are honest and only wants computer users to install their application to take advantage of their machines. The developers of these applications use deceptive tactics so that users will get to install their applications. Some of the tactics that they do is to provide false information and promises regarding their applications.
The Snap.do is a type of extension for browsers and is developed by Resoft Ltd. and they offer users that they provide an enhanced browsing experience through their unique features. They claim that users can provide quicker browser experience in social media websites and a lot more. However, due to the intrusive nature of the extension, it is categorized by cyber security experts as a PUP or Potentially Unwanted Program and Browser Hijacker.
To make the Snap.do look more appealing, they even have their own website and is very active in advertising. Just like any other browser hijackers, Snap.do affects the most common browsers such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
|Threat Name||Snap.do toolbar, Snap.do browser Extension, search engine promotions|
|Symptoms||Intrussive ads, changes browser settings without user’s permission, create and modiy Registry entries, gather user data, website redirections|
|Distribution||Software bundling, clicking on fake ads and updates|
|Removal||Manual removal or use an automatic virus removal software such as iolo System Mechanic|
Snap.do Browser Hijacker Symptoms
The first sign of infection with Snap.do is if you see that your search in the browser is automatically redirected to http://search.snap.do/?a=Ikd29AnT and other similar websites. Below is an example of how it looks like:
Browsers that are infected with Snap.do will also have their homepage changed without the user’s approval. This means, every time the user opens a browser, they will be redirected to whatever website they are promoting.
Shopping Helper Smartbar – A Potentially Unwanted Program or PUP is a browser hijacker that can also make changes to browser settings
Browse for the Cause – Browse for the Cause is also a PUP that promotes the installation and use of Snap.do. It claims that they donate money to several charities but in reality, they just promote other PUA such as Snap.do
IToolBox Toolbar – This is another extension for browsers that is known for promoting Snap.do and spreads other PUAs that causes intrusive ads and other browser related issues.
How to Avoid Getting Infected with Snap.do Browser Hijacker?
Users should avoid using illegal or pirated programs that are downloaded from illegitimate sources as viruses are usually bundled in them. This is the top reason why people become victims of viruses, malwares and ransomwares, so before downloading a program, do a quick research and make sure to get them from official sources.
Steering away from clicking malicious ads and email attachments is also a sure way to avoid getting infected with any viruses. If you see an email with an attachment from an unknown sender, we suggest for you to delete it right away or scan it with a reliable anti-virus tool such as iolo System Mechanic.
Removing Snap.do Browser Hijacker
Removing a PUA or Potentially Unwanted Application can be a long and tedious procedure especially if you do not have enough experience in virus removal. However, we have made an guide that you can easily follow to effectively remove Snap.do Browser Hijacker or any PUAs from your computer.
Remove Snap.do From Windows Operating System
- Press down the “Windows” key on your keyboard then press “R”. In the Run command line, type “appwiz.cpl” and then click “OK”
- In the Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP and 7) or Uninstall or Change a Program (Windows 10), look for all PUAs and you can remove them one by one clicking “Uninstall”
Remove It From Mac Operating System
- Go to your Mac menu bar and then click “Go” and click “Applications”
- In the list of all installed applications, look for all PUAs and drag them to your trash to remove them
Removing Safe.do Browser Hijacker and Other PUAs from Your Browsers
- Remove it from Safari;
- Remove it from Google Chrome;
- Remove it from Mozilla Firefox;
- Remove it from Internet Explorer;
- Remove it from Microsoft Edge.
Remove It From Safari Browser
- Click the “Safari” button on the Safari menu bar and then click on “Preferences”
- Click “Extensions” and then click on all suspicious extensions and then click “Uninstall”
Resetting Safari to its Default Settings:
- Click on the “Safari” button on the menu bar and then click on “Preferences”
- Click “Privacy” and then “Remove All Website Data”
Uninstall Snap.do From Google Chrome
- Open the menu in Chrome by clicking the “Three Dots” located on the right corner and then click on “More Tools” and then click on “Extensions”
- Click on all the unfamiliar extensions that are in the list and then click “Remove”
Resetting Google Chrome:
- Open the menu in Chrome by clicking the “Three Dots” located on the right corner and then click on “Settings”
- Click “Advanced” in settings and click on “Reset and Clean Up”. In the next window, click on “Restore settings to their original defaults” and then click “Reset Settings” to confirm
Remove It From Firefox
- Click the “three bars” on the upper right corner of Firefox and click on “Add-ons”
- Click on the “three dots” right next to all unfamiliar add-ons in Firefox and click on “Remove”
How to Reset Firefox to its Default Settings:
- Click the “Three Bars” to open the menu Mozilla Firefox and click “Help”, lastly on the click “Troubleshooting Information” option
- Click the “Refresh Firefox” button under “Give Firefox a Tune Up” and then click “Refresh Firefox” again
Remove Snap.do From Internet Explorer
- Click on the “Gear” icon on the upper right corner and then click “Manage Add-ons”
- Click the “Toolbars and Extensions” under “Add-on Types” and look for all unwanted add-ons and then click on “Disable
Resetting Internet Explorer to Default Settings:
- Click on the “Gear” icon on the upper right corner of Internet Explorer and click “Internet Options”
- Click the “Advanced” tab and click on “Reset”. Next, click the “Reset” and then click “Reset” to confirm
Remove It From MS Edge
- Click on the “Three Dots” found on the upper right corner of Edge and click on “Extensions”
- Select all the unfamiliar extensions that are installed in Edge and click “Uninstall” and click on “OK” to confirm
Resetting Edge to Default Settings:
- Click on the “Three Dots” located on the upper right corner of Edge and click “Settings”
- Click “Reset Settings” and then click on “Restore Settings to their Default Values”. Lastly, click on the “Reset” button to confirm
Our Final Thoughts
If you want to avoid getting infected with any online threats such as Snap.do and go through the hassle of manually removing threats which will require time and patience, we encourage everyone to install a reliable and trustworthy anti-virus tool such as iolo System Mechanic.
iolo System Mechanic provides a holistic approach in keeping your computer safe from online threats and make it perform at its optimal condition. iolo System Mechanic is an all-in-one anti-virus and system optimization tool that automatically removes threats and repair corrupted or missing Windows files.