Roblox High CPU Usage: 10 Simple Ways to Fix It
When playing Roblox - it's consuming the vast majority of my CPU
Hey gang, got a bit of a pickle here.
Roblox is munching on my CPU like there's no tomorrow. Any suggestions to get it back on a diet? Thanks in advance!
Roblox is a widely recognized online gaming platform that has carved a niche in the market. The platform allows users to create their own games and play those designed by others, fostering creativity and engagement among users. Millions of gamers have flocked to the platform due to its novel concept and interactive interface, making it immensely popular.
Several Windows users have reported to us experiencing the “Roblox high CPU usage” issue. Therefore, computer performance drops, and users experience various performance issues, such as application crashes and PC freezing.
Although Roblox continuously releases updates to improve the user experience, these updates may occasionally cause problems. Some players have reported no noticeable changes in their systems or gaming behavior but suddenly experienced this spike in CPU usage.
…Before we dive into this “Roblox High CPU Usage” fix guide – we always highly advise using a reliable Virtual Private Network (we recommend CyberGhost VPN –> get our special 83% off deal here).
It will protect your online privacy as well as secure your PC from dangerous websites and malware that might be causing various PC issues in the first place.
Why is Roblox Taking Up Most of my CPU?
Many factors contribute to Roblox high CPU usage. Understanding the root cause of a problem is crucial to finding the right solution.
Perhaps you have wondered how CPU usage can jump to 100% when playing a game. It’s not that the game overloads the CPU. Rather than using just one core, it uses all simultaneously.
Roblox High CPU usage can lead to FPS drops and game stuttering. It may even crash the game. There is a possibility that the game will be resource-intensive if you play with many people or use many graphics.
Common Reasons for Roblox’s High CPU Usage on Windows include:
- Your older operating system doesn’t support multicore processors.
- In addition, older games may not be optimized for current hardware.
- CPU-intensive games don’t necessarily pose a problem. As a result, they use so much CPU.
So, how much CPU should Roblox use? You won’t need to worry if you have a high-end gaming laptop or PC when running Roblox.
However, suppose your PC or laptop is below average, and you wish to play Roblox without issues. In that case, it is advisable to learn what hardware and system requirements Roblox requires before playing it. Some games use 100% of your CPU to achieve the highest frame rate possible.
Now, you might wonder, “How much CPU should Roblox use?” If you have a high-end gaming PC or laptop, running Roblox should be a breeze. You don’t need to worry.
However, suppose your PC or laptop falls below the average performance level, and you wish to enjoy Roblox without hiccups. In that case, it’s crucial to understand the hardware and system requirements Roblox demands before diving into the game for the first time.
In this guide, we will try some of the most common causes of Roblox high CPU usage and how to fix them.
10 Solutions on How to Fix Roblox High CPU Usage in Windows
Solution 1: Update Windows Drivers
A Windows driver bridges the gap between hardware and software. Updating them ensures your games run smoothly, as updated versions often come with optimizations and compatibility fixes.
Here’s how to update your Windows drivers:
- Type “Updates” in the Windows search bar and hit Enter.
- In the new window, click on “Check for updates.”
- If optional updates are available, install them.
- Wait for all the files to be downloaded and installed.
- Finally, restart your computer to complete the window’s update.
Keeping your drivers updated can ensure better performance and compatibility with your games and fix Roblox high CPU usage.
Solution 2: Update Graphic Card Drivers
If your Windows is up-to-date and you still have trouble with Roblox taking 100% of your CPU, you should try updating your graphics card drivers. Here’s how to update graphic drivers.
Note: You can also update drivers using your Graphic Card manufacturer’s software, such as AMD or NVIDIA. In my case, I’m using Microsoft’s official updater.
- Press “Windows + S” to open the search box.
- Type “Device Manager” and then click on it.
- Once the device manager opened. Find “Display Adapters”.
- Now click on “arrowhead” to expand the selection. There, select your graphic card and click “Update driver”.
Updating your graphic card driver lets you fix any issues with previous drivers that conflict with performance issues with games.
Try restarting your PC after the update to see if the issue is fixed.
Solution 3: Tweak your Graphics and In-Game Settings
Usually, this problem occurs when the in-game graphics configurations are set too high compared to the capability of your computer. Therefore, you should try lowering your in-game graphics settings to see if this helps.
- First, open a Roblox game, press Esc, and click the Settings button.
- Next, set the Graphics Mode to Automatic or Manual and decrease the Graphics Quality.
It is also possible for this issue to occur if the graphics card settings are high. As a result, you should change your graphics card settings and keep them as low as possible.
Solution 4: Set Roblox to High-Priority
In Windows, all running programs share the computer’s processing power by default. However, if you want to give more resources to Roblox, you can set it to a higher priority.
- To do this, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
- Go to the Details tab.
- Scroll through the list until you find Roblox or Roblox Studio.
- Right-click on it and select Set Priority> High.
- Then, close Task Manager and restart the game.
This change can help improve Roblox’s performance on your computer.
Solution 5: Limit Background Processes
Having several applications open simultaneously divides CPU attention. Closing unnecessary processes frees Roblox resources.
- Open Task Manager again.
- Check the Processes tab for applications using a significant percentage of CPU.
- Find any application you are not actively using.
- Right-click on such applications and select End Task.
I am sure this will help you get the best out of Roblox.
Solution 6: Update Roblox Itself
Performance problems can sometimes happen with older apps and games. To fix this, you must update your apps. If you notice that Roblox uses a lot of CPU,, it is smart to update it to the latest version.
Here is how to update Roblox based on how you installed it:
From the Microsoft Store:
- Open the Microsoft Store on your computer.
- Go to the “Library” section.
- Look for Roblox and click on it.
- You should see an option to “Get updates.” Click on it to update Roblox.
From the Roblox Website:
- Open https://www.roblox.com in your web browser.
- Navigate to an experience page.
- Click on the “Play” button.
- Press the “Open Roblox” button. This will update and launch Roblox Player on your PC.
After updating Roblox, check if the Roblox high cpu performance issue is resolved. Keeping your software updated can greatly improve its performance.
Solution 7: Adjust Power Settings
Your computer’s power plan can influence its performance. Using a high-performance setting may help boost your CPU output.
- To access power plan settings, search for “Control Panel” in the Windows search bar and press Enter.
- In the Control Panel, navigate to “Hardware and Sound” > “Power options.”
- You will find a list of power plans available. Change your plan from “Power saver” to “High performance.”
Adjusting its power settings can optimize computer performance.
Solution 8: Disable Hardware Acceleration
- Open your Chrome browser and click the three-dot icon in the top left corner to open the menu.
- Click on the Search box and Type “Hardware acceleration.”
- There, you can switch off “Use hardware acceleration when available.”
Hardware acceleration can boost graphics and sound performance but consume more computer resources, leading to Roblox High CPU usage. The steps to turn it off vary depending on your browser, but this example provides a general idea.
Solution 9: Check for Malware on Your PC
The Roblox High CPU problem may sometimes be caused by malware on your computer. The best option, in this case, is to run a full or quick scan.
Here are the steps you need to follow.
- Open the Start Menu, type “Windows Security,” and click to open it.
- Choose “Virus & Threat Protection.”
- Now, click on “Quick scan” under “Current threats.”
- If nothing is found, you can do a more thorough scan by clicking “Scan options” below “Quick scan.”
- Select “Full scan” to perform a deep scan of your PC.
Wait for it to finish, then restart your computer to see if the issue has been fixed.
Solution 10: Reinstall Roblox
If the solutions mentioned above do not work, the Roblox installation on your computer may be damaged, causing this problem. If this situation applies to you, the solution is to uninstall and reinstall Roblox from your PC. This should fix the Roblox High CPU consumption.
- Right-click the Start button and select “Apps and Features.”
- Scroll down to find “Roblox” in the list.
- Click “Uninstall” and confirm.
- Follow the prompts to complete the uninstallation.
- Press “Win + E” to open File Explorer.
- Navigate to this location (ensure Hidden files are visible):
- Access the “Roblox” folder, select everything with “Ctrl + A,” and then delete it with “Shift + Del.”
- Restart your computer.
- Open the Microsoft Store and reinstall the game (method mentioned earlier).
How Do I Make Roblox Less Laggy?
If you’re experiencing lag in Roblox and want to enhance its performance, there are several steps you can take. First, if your system has integrated and dedicated GPUs, try running Roblox on a high-performance GPU. Keep your graphics drivers and Roblox up-to-date for smoother gameplay. Additionally, ensure your PC is set to the “Best Performance” power mode for optimal results.
Note that if you’re using Dropbox – it tends to use a lot of CPU as well. So we advise disabling it while playing games.
Is Roblox Using a CPU or GPU?
Roblox relies on your computer’s CPU for graphics processing rather than graphics cards. While you may encounter high GPU usage, it’s not the norm. Knowing this, if your computer has a less capable CPU, you might experience lower framerates in Roblox games. Consider upgrading your CPU to increase your Roblox framerate.
As we have discussed, every solution to fix Roblox high CPU usage. However, upgrading your CPU may be a good idea if your game is lagging and not running smoothly and you wish to improve your Roblox framerate.
As an addition, we recommend installing and running auto-optimization software for Windows offered below. It will help your PC run smoothly and safely, minimizing any kind of CPU over-usage.
iolo System Mechanic® — is a patented PC & MAC repair tool & the only program of its kind. Not only it’s a registry fix, PC optimizer, and an anti-virus/malware remover – The iolo’s System Mechanic® technology reverses the damage done to Windows or Mac, eliminating the need for time-consuming reinstallations & costly technician bills.
It is available for FREE. Although, for some more advanced features & 100% effective fixes you may need to purchase a full license.
If your Roblox high-CPU issues are still not resolved — don’t hesitate and contact us via email, or Facebook messenger (the blue ‘bubble’ on the bottom-right of your screen).