How to Reset The Forgotten Password on Mac? (Free Instructions)
How to reset the forgotten password on Mac?
Hi! I've located my old MacBook, but I've forgotten the password. Is it possible to reset the Mac password without the assistance of an IT professional? Thank you for your assistance.
When trying to make modifications to your Mac, you’ll need to know your password. Delete vital files, install software, or just log in to your computer are all examples. Unfortunately, Apple has prioritized customer security, and resetting a Mac password can be difficult.
Similarly, we’ve prepared a number of techniques that should allow you to easily reset your password and log in again. We strongly suggest you to not only carefully follow the directions, but also to try all of the strategies presented, as some of them may not be suitable for you.
It’s also crucial to remember that malicious individuals may try to break into your computer using similar tactics. As a result, you should definitely enable FileVault encryption on your computer. This manner, unless the thief possesses a recovery key and password, he or she won’t be able to access your data.
Keep in mind that you’ll get one once FileVault is turned on. We recommend that you print it and keep it somewhere safe. Keep in mind that if you forget or lose it, all of your information will be permanently lost. As a result, be aware of the dangers and take precautions to protect your computer and files.
Recovering a Lost Password on Mac
You’ll find information on how to recover your Mac password in the sections below. To successfully reset the password, make sure you attempt all of them. Unfortunately, with KeyChain and related programs, these approaches do not retrieve the password. For future use, you should also register a new KeyChain account.
Method #1: Get Password Hint
- To get the Apple icon, go to the top-left corner of your desktop and click it;
- Select Users & Groups from the System Preferences menu.
- Click the Lock icon in the bottom–left corner of the window;
- Three times press the Return key till the hind appears below.
- NOTE: If it does not appear, it was not enabled in the Login settings.
Method #2: Use Another User Account to Change The Password on Mac
- Click the Apple icon in the top-left corner of your desktop and select Log Out.
- Reset the password on your Mac.
- Log in to the account for which you recall the password;
- Go to Users & Groups in System Preferences;
- Enter the password after clicking the Lock symbol.
- Select the account whose password you wish to reset from the left sidebar.
- Click on Reset Password button and create a new password.
NOTE: You will not be able to reset the password if the account whose password you recall does not have admin capabilities.
Method #3: To Reset Your Password, Use Recovery Mode.
- Select the Shut Down option from the Apple symbol.
- Press and hold the Command R, and Power buttons at the same time until the load bar displays.
- Select Disk Utilities and Terminal once it has loaded.
- Press the return key after typing reset password.
- Select the user account from the volume that contains your account by clicking Select the User Account.
- Save the new password when you’ve entered it.
- Turn on your computer normally after shutting it down.
Final Word of Advice
It’s always advisable having some backup methods set up when it comes to your passwords. Whether it would be hints, some paper notes safely stored or apps like LastPass or etc.
In addition, we recommend downloading and running Restoro in order to keep your PC or MAC safe from malware that can pretend to be a lock-screen asking for your password and thus getting it out from you and using it against your will or knowledge.
RESTORO — is a patented PC & MAC repair tool & the only program of its kind. Not only it’s a registry fix, PC optimizer, or an anti-virus/malware remover – The RESTORO technology reverses the damage done to Windows or Mac, eliminating the need for time-consuming reinstallations & costly technician bills.
It is available for FREE. Although, for some more advanced features & 100% effective fixes you may need to purchase a full license.